Proper hoof care is essential to a horse’s well-being. One condition that is occurring more frequently in horses is corns – severe, visible bruising in a horse’s feet that is problematic if untreated.
Causes & Symptoms
There are two potential causes of corns. In both cases, corns cause intense pressure in one area of the hoof and become uncomfortable. In order to avoid injuries, it is important for hoof care professionals to tend to the condition as quickly as possible.
The most common symptoms of corns include:
- Dark Bruising: Corns cause severe bruising on the foot in the seat of the corn. If this happens, it is likely that the hooves need extra support in order for the horse to become comfortable again and heal.
- Discomfort: If a horse with corns is left untreated, the horse may stand or walk unevenly as a result of the irritation. It is vital for horse owners to provide the proper hoof care to horses suffering from corns in order to avoid injury or lameness.
Unfortunately, there is no specific cause linked to corns. However, regular maintenance and trimming can help avoid the condition and help with early detection.
Horse owners can use pour-in pad materials to help with the healing process and allow bruised feet to heal. Equi-Pak Soft and Equi-Pak Soft Extra Soft are fast-setting, soft pad materials that bond directly to the sole and frog, and improve the depth of the sole. These soft packing materials soften the concussion between the coffin bone and the ground, so the horse has a soft layer of protection to help the hoof heal comfortably. They act as a cushion for the tender feet against abrasive ground surfaces. Equi-Pak Soft Extra Soft should be applied under a plastic or leather pad.
Because corns can develop at any time, it’s vital for horse owners to get their horses’ hooves examined thoroughly and trimmed on a regular basis, about every six weeks. A consistent hoof care regimen helps avoid conditions like corns, discomfort and costly treatment.
Talk with your farrier or veterinarian about how pour-in pad materials can help manage corns, and make sure your horse is on a regular farrier schedule.
See what our customers had to say about Equi-Pak and Equi-Pak Soft:
- “My Farrier has been using this on my horses for 18 years My 22 year old acts like she's 2 when she gets her shoes reset A site to behold” –Almost Silver
- “It can be messy but in this job what isn't? It works.” –Daniel H
- “This really seemed to help my mare” -Kimberlyn F
By: Vettec Hoof Care