Poinsettias are often thought to be extremely deadly. In reality, their danger is highly exaggerated. Frankly, most pets won’t ingest enough to become ill. Poinsettias don’t taste very good! Excessive drooling and mild stomach upset are the most common problem in pets that nibble on this plant.
Holly and mistletoe, on the other hand, pose a much higher degree of danger. Consumption of large amounts of holly can result in stomach upset along with depression of the central nervous system. Mistletoe can actually cause cardiovascular problems. If your pet exhibits unusual symptoms, don’t take any chances.
If you have a live Christmas tree in your home, avoid adding preservatives to the tree’s water. When a pet discovers a large bowl of fresh water in the living room, they are certain to take a drink….even if there is a Christmas tree inside. Stagnant water in the tree stand is potentially a breeding ground for bacteria, as well. In either case, stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea could occur.
Lilies, although more popular at Easter, offer serious risk to cats. A single leaf or even just the pollen of most lilies can send a cat into kidney failure. Be extremely careful with these plants!
Hopefully, your holiday celebration will be merry and without any pet problems.